About this Show

Dateline NBC

News/Business. Investigative journalism. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK
NBC

DURATION
00:40:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel 78 (549 MHz)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Rosalind 17, Mike 8, Cathy 7, Jim 5, Carolyn 4, Alan 3, Garry 3, Patterson 3, Tempur-pedic 3, Orende Patterson 3, Rosalind Brown 3, Montel Pettiford 2, Texas 2, Gerald 2, Gerry 2, Brenda Simpson 2, North Carolina 1, Lysol Neutra Air Fabric Mist 1, Nag 1, Latchana 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  NBC    Dateline NBC    News/Business.  
   Investigative journalism. (CC) (Stereo)  

    September 20, 2010
    2:50 - 3:30am EDT  

2:50am
mike, because the pharmaceutical industry would like you to believe that a cox2 inhibitor can only happen in a drug form. and that's a lie. cox2 inhibitors are naturally occurring in your body. >ok >>and what they do is, their going to help you with inflammation, >ok >>their going to help you with pain. and at the same time then, mike think about this, we're going to bring the body back to balance. not only are we going to take away the pain, but we're going to regenerate cartilage, cartilage is your cushioning factor. >ok >>think about it like your car. >alright >>hat do you, why do you use oil in your car? >just to keep the parts working. >>xactly. keeps the parts working. and what it does, if you watch the car adds, oil cuts down on friction. >sure >>synovial fluid and cartilage cuts down on friction. >ok >>it allows your joints to be more mobile, more flexible, with no friction. >right. >>f you don't have friction mike, you don't have inflammation, >ok >>if you don't have inflammation you don't have pain. now.. >and this product has, natural cox2 inhibitors [said
2:51am
in unison]. >> teamed up with a doctor friend of mine in florida, his number one, every patient that comes into him, eh, number one is joint pain. "doc, i can't, i can't even walk with my wife anymore because i have lower back pain". golfers, golfers can't play golf anymore. give me a quick, i'll tell you a quick story, just, not two, three weeks ago at the club i jumped in, bumped into a guy, don't even know him, his name's garry. garry comes up to me, he doesn't even know what i do for a living, >ok >>he sees me on the stepper, >ight >> nd he is complaining about his knee. and i'm talking to him about golfing. he's got a, i don't know anything about golf, but he's got a three handicap. i guess that's pretty good. >yeah. that is. >>ell he's traveling to texas to be in a tournament. and he's in the senior division >k >>ause he fifty five years old. and he says "jim, i'm telling you, my left knee is hurting me so bad that i can barely golf anymore". and he said "i've tried all the..", he said "i tried the drugs then they pulled 'em from the market, i've tried natural glucosamine and these products, nothing worked". and i said "here i got a product for you. i'd just like you to try it". and he said "is it a glucosamine product?" and eh, i said "yeah it is". and he said "well i've tried those" and i said "the reason
2:52am
why this one is going to work for you garry, is two reasons. one, we use the absolute best glucosamine. >right >> it's called nag. n acetyl glucosamine. >sure >>which has been clinically proven to be the.. >more effective >>...best. more effective... >right >>..in the body... >right. >>.. than the other two forms >sure >>and two, its because of the synergistic blend... >right >>..of the formula. the boswellin, the ashwagahnda, the yucca, >right. >>ts not just the glucosamine. >right >>t's the synergistic blend. that's why its going to work for you. i handed him a bottle. three weeks later, and i thought he was just pulling my leg, three weeks later he comes "jim" and he's laughing, and i said "what's so funny" and he said "i was just playing golf in a tournament in texas and my knee does not hurt at all" >wow. >>hat's impressive. >sure. [20:28] >> eh, ah, mike, i didn't create this product. it's all natural, comes from the earth, god created it, it's all natural and what it does, is it takes the body and puts it back in balance. it allows the body to regenerate itself. >ok >>that's how it works.
2:53am
mike, i said earlier, i don't believe in a coincidence. i believe in fate.. > sure. >>k. i met the women who introduced me to this product by fate, she heard me talking about my joint pain, introduced me to this product, and i believe that was destined to happen, i believe that someone today is tuning into this program that's laying on the couch and living in pain, they have joint pain, back pain, they have knee pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and they can't walk, your just not able to enjoy the quality of life you deserve. try this product. i guarantee you it works. if it doesn't work send it back and i'll personally refund your money. but i promise you there's somebody watching today that fate has caused them to turn on this channel and your sick and tired of being in pain, your sick and tired of not being able to enjoy the quality of life that you deserve. let us allow you to give you back that quality of life. today is your day to get out
2:54am
of pain. >you had mentioned ah, you take, how does it work, you take two capsules, twice a day. >>wo capsules twice a day >how long does it take really for it to work. because we were talking earlier, and you were saying thi, that because of the human body and because of the abuse that we, that we've actually ah, because of the abuse that we put on our bodies throughout the years through bad nutrition, through, like you said, through athletics, or just are, are everyday lives, ahmm people sometimes are looking for an immediate result because of these drugs that trick the brain. >>up >ight. how long dose something like arthri-d take? >>'ve had people call me in as little as a few days >ok >>nd it really depends on the body, a lot of factors involved. >sure. >>ow well are you eating >right >>ou know, are you drinking carbonated sodas, you know there's a lot of factors involved. that will allow, can actually hinder this product's ability to be absorbed into the body. i've had people call me in as much as five, in as little, as five days and say "jim, i have no more pain", but i've also had people that it's taken about forty five days >sure >>i was a good example of that.
2:55am
but remember i had excruciating, i mean unbelievable pain, where a couple times, and i'm not joking, like a couple times i thought i was going to have to go admit myself to the hospital, that bad. >it was that painful. >>hat painful. so i know what people are going through, i know pain. and pain is crippling, its debilitating, it's demoralizing. >sure. >> have ah really... >people get, people are depressed when they take... >>..oh depressed... >...they stay in they don't do anything. >>xactly, and because the second your feet hit the floor, i know what that's like, i didn't even want to get out of bed days mike, because the second my feet hit the floor i knew i was going to be in pain. i've got a really good friend of my wife's, carolyn, and carolyn's got two kids in college, and they go to northern illinois university, and carolyn tells stories where she just loves a couple times a year going up to the university and just seeing the campus... >sure >>...with her kids. imagine this, forty eight years old, not even fifty yet, the last time she went to visit one of her daughters on campus her daughter had to push her around in a wheelchair because she couldn't walk around. her knees and hips bothered
2:56am
her so bad it was demoralizing, she was in tears. she said "jim, can you imagine, i'm just going to visit my daughter at college and she has to push me around in a wheelchair". >it's embarrassing >>t's embarrassing. and i said "carolyn, try this product, >ight >>try this product. about four weeks later she came back and said "jim, my hips no longer hurt, as a matter of fact, i started running again. >wow >>he had to stop running. first she stopped running 'cause it got so bad, then she started power walking 'cause she needed to control her weight. and guess what, now she's running again. >that's amazing >>that's amazing. but it gave her back the quality of life that everyone deserves. if you rebuild the cartilage so that the bones don't rub together so you don't have friction, guess what, that is how you eliminate the problem. >sure >>not a drug. remember... >yup >>..we talked about the nail. >right >>irst take the nail out. now if you still need some pain we'll address that. but let's get rid of the nail. that's what arthri-d does. >it addresses the problem. >>he problem, not the symptom. [24:49] >right >>e're looking at it all wrong, doctors are looking out
2:57am
wrong. when you walk in to your doctor and you say "i've got pain" instead of asking "let's figure out where the pain is coming from" >hey just write you a prescription. >>hey just write you a prescription. here take this. >you won't be in pain anymore. >>ou won't have any pain >and you think your all better >>yeah they, and now they even opened rehab centers because their writing so many prescriptions for pain, it's an epidemic in the united states. people are going to have, get drugs for pain, now they got to go to rehab... >sure >>...just to get off the drugs. instead of addressing the problem. >right. >>he problem is you've got to get your body back in balance. you've got to get the cartilage in your body to start absorbing nutrients again, to absorb water, because it's a cushion. that cushion protects your joints from colliding. >ok >>remember, collision, when they start to rub together your going to get friction. let me give you a great example, and i'm telling you, god is amazing and i thank him every day that he brought me to where i am with this formula because i told you, you knew earlier, my wife suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. >right. >>ow, there's a big difference between
2:58am
osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. [25:51] rheumatoid arthritis the immune system has basically started to attack itself.[said in unison]. it thinks this cartilage and it thinks the synovial fluid is trying to damage her body so it's attacking it. >ok. >> was standing in the doctor's office. her doctor's called a rheumatologist. he's a doctor that specializes in joint support. he told me, boldly, to my face, i said "doctor when will ever come up with a cure for rheumatoid arthritis?". and he said quote "jim, we will never cure rheumatoid arthritis, we're not even looking. [ma mumbles something inaudible here] what we are doing is developing more powerful drugs to eliminate her pain so that through the rest of her life at least she won't have pain." mike, do you know how insane that sounds. >that's unbelievable. >>e're, they're not even looking for a cure, now watch this, cause there a lot of people out there that are in my wife's similar situation. she started taking this formula; remember my wife has had rheumatoid arthritis
2:59am
since she was sixteen years old. >you had mentioned too that she had severe foot pain. >>www. foot pain. you, you can't even describe, you talk about pain, >ou can't even walk. >>ou get rheumatoid arthritis you can't walk. its debilitating. she started taking this formula and through her doctor helping us, luckily her doctor is a really great doctor and he does believe that the future of arthritis is in natural products. >sure >>he's been helping us take this product in conjunction with her drugs >sure. >>ow she is able to take the lowest amount of her drugs. >wow jim its been, its been an amazing show. it, we'll have you back. [27:25] folks if you've been watching and you suffer from joint pain, back pain, knee pain, elbow pain, if your one of the millions of americans that suffer with arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, even gout, pick up the phone and give us a call. jim shriner's product, arthri-d, has been helping thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people live pain free. so pick up the phone and give
3:00am
us a call. we've actually worked out a special arrangement with our guest, mr. jim shriner, where you'll receive a substantial savings off the regular price of the product. plus if you call within the next five minutes ask how you can receive your first months supply absolutely free. folks this product is unconditionally guaranteed to work. so pick up the phone and give us a call. >jim, thanks again for being my guest. >>ppreciate it mike. > y name is michael alden. and we'll see you next time.
3:01am
3:02am
>> rosalind's story finally comes out. >> to hear that, what did that feel like for you finally? >> when "cracked, the caves tse
3:03am
the little boy lost" continues. trailer insurance... d ...as well as motorcycle insurance... gecko: oh...sorry, technical difficulties. boss: uh...what about this? gecko: what's this one do? gecko: um...maybe that one. ♪ dance music boss: ok, let's keep rolling. we're on motorcycle insurance. vo: take fifteen minutes to see how much you can save on motorcycle, rv, and camper insurance. ♪ bye! bye! ♪ hi. hey! hey! [ laughter ] ♪ [ female announcer ] walk into a burst of fresh fragrance when you pass by. get motion activated glade sense and spray and release the magic. sc johnson, a family company.
3:04am
to st. cloud, minnesota. ask me what a cloud feels like... and here are the first real people to sleep on those brand new clouds. ask me what it feels like to be comforted by a cloud. a new tempur-cloud supreme... by tempur-pedic... ask me why we love our cloud... ask me how it's soft as a cloud... and still supports me. ask me why this is a million times better than my pillow-top. a pillow-top may look nice and puffy, but underneath are hard metal springs--- ask me why it's 'bye, bye, pillowtop!' bye, bye! the new tempur-cloud is the plushest, softest, tempur-pedic ever, and it comes with a 20 year warranty. ask me where i'd like to be right now... ask me how many people i'm gonna recommend this to... tempur-pedic brand owners are more satisfied than owners of any traditional mattress brand. ask me how to take the first step to your own cloud... take the first step! call for your free information kit with dvd. call the number on your screen or visit tempurpedic.com/cloud. tempur-pedic. the most highly recommended bed in america.
3:05am
19 years have passed by the time detective gerald parks took over the investigation into the death of alan brown. parks was retired and worked as an adviser to the flint cold case squad for a dollar a month. >> let's be clear. every month for all your work you get paid $1? >> right. a month. >> a month. >> at the end of the year i get
3:06am
a little better than $11 because uncle sam is going to get his share. how you doing? >> you're looking mighty good. >> brenda says parks did something no one else had done -- listened to her and included her in the investigation. >> he started piecing it together, calling me, asking me about people, all this stuff that's been in here. >> detective parks began by digging into the little blue suitcase brenda had filled over the years with information about alan. >> she had amazingly a lot of stuff that really helped us in our case. >> parks said right away he agreed this was no accidental drowning. >> you're about river from the you were going to go fishing and you're a young, 11-year-old boy, the first thing you'd have took was your fishing pole. he didn't. >> i'll start with friday and we'll go from there. >> parks reviewed the case files. he constructed a timeline for the day alan disappeared,
3:07am
starting with the moment his step mom, rosalind, picked him up at his aunt's house. >> he was with his aunt the day that he was -- he disappeared. we talked to the aunt. she is very, very good. >> rosalind came to pick him up. >> "dateline" also talked to alan's aunt. she remembers quite clearly what happened when rosalind picked him up that afternoon. >> he was just crying and bawling his eyes out. didn't want to go with her. and it was like she was forcing him to get into the car. i've never seen him act like that before. he was beating on the back of the window screaming and hollering, aunt jeannie, please don't let me go. eventually they drove away. >> he had an intuition he was in trouble. he felt there was something wrong. you know, that he wasn't liked. he wasn't wanted. and he had a fear. >> i blamed myself for a long time because i let him go and if i had let him stay maybe --
3:08am
>> parks' interest in rosalind increased. he studied the statement she had made in 1985 and brought her in for questioning. the story she told him now was very different from what she had said back then. times changed, facts changed, very basic facts. in 1985 she said her mother was at work. >> wint i went to get my mother. she got out at 2:42 and now? >> your mother was with you? mm-hmm. >> she wasn't working at that time? >> no. >> you sure? >> mm-hmm. >> you can't remember a lie. you can remember things you do and forever and ever because it's something you actually did. but when you try to remember a lie, it's very difficult. >> and then there was this. the statement from the woman claiming to have seen rosalind and her brother, montel pettiford force alan to drink and then sexually molest him in the months before his death.
3:09am
when parks tracked her down, she provided him with a bigger tip, saying a woman named cathy, who had been married to montel, may actually have seen whatever happened that day. >> so one of the goals was to find whoever this cathy person was. >> that wasn't easy because cathy had left the state and she wasn't easy to find. >> jegerry found her. >> parks and his investigators finally found cathy in north carolina and interviewed her in the fall of 2004. what she told them would be the first major crack in the case. for the first time cathy told what she had seen the day alan disappeared. she was now divorced from montel but back in 1985 they were living here at this house in flint. cathy said she was feeding her infant son when montel and
3:10am
rosalind came into her house supporting alan between them. >> had to help him in the house. >> cathy said the two brought alan into the spare bedroom. next montel came into the kitchen carrying a small, brown bottle with a skull and cross bones on it. >> he just opened the bottle and put it in there. >> what did he put it in, do you remember? >> she said montel poured clear liquid from the bottle into some grape kool-aid and also into the eggs given to christopher alan. >> he went in and he had this and did you see chris drink this? >> yes, chris drank this. >> why had she kept this horrible secret all of these years? cathy said montel frequently beat her and on that day he held up the small bottle of poison and told her that if she told anyone she and her baby would be next. parks called rosalind back in saying he now had an eyewitness implicating her and he threatened her with prison for
3:11am
life if she didn't start talking. >> i knew from day one. >> coming up, rosalind's story finally comes out. to hear that, what did that feel like for you, finally? but would it bring the justice she so badly wanted? >> i just -- i just broke down. >> when "cracked, the case of the little boy lost" continues.
3:12am
3:13am
3:14am
i did not do it. >> i got an eyewitness. >> they lying. >> in november, 2004, retired detective gerald parks brought rosalind brown in yet again to discuss the death of her 11-year-old step son, alan. this time he had something he hadn't had before -- incriminating, eyewitness testimony placing her at the scene. >> they are lying. i did not do none of that. >> parks and his investigators pushed. >> what choice do you have here, going to prison the rest of your life? >> after more than four hours of interrogation rosalind admitted she and her brother montel had taken alan to the river that day but blamed his death on her brother. >> i took montel to the river. he threw him in. i didn't see him. i didn't touch him. i never touched the boy. and i went home. now you talk to montel.
3:15am
he's going to say i did it. go ahead. i'll be a witness, whatever you want me to do. just please. >> after all of these years you learned that your son was in fact poisoned and it looks like your ex-husband's wife may be responsible. to hear that, what did that feel like for you finally? >> i was right all the time. that's what it felt like. it felt like i was right all the time. >> detective parks now had the big break he needed, enough evidence to get court permission to exhume the little boy's body to get a new autopsy and finally have alan's death classified as a homicide. he took all of that to the district attorney. >> we think we know what happened. we think it was a homicide. and we think we know who did it. but that's still not enough. >> in may of 2005, stating there simply was not enough evidence for a conviction, the district
3:16am
attorney declined to indict rosalind brown and her brother montel. for the past three months, simpson says she has waited, hoping an arrest warrant would be issued, but late last week she learned her dreams of closing the case once and for all would have to wait a little longer. >> felt like somebody kicked me in my gut. i was so devastated i got on the couch and i laid on the couch for two days. i didn't hardly eat or drink anything. finally after a couple days i get up off the couch and i said, pick yourself up. we have one more fight left in you. and i told my husband and we go downtown and i start the process of trying to get to the attorney general's office. i'm not taking no for an answer. >> the da tells you no you go to the attorney general. there is someone else. >> yes. another door to kick open. >> and behind that door was a young assistant attorney general orende patterson who found 22 years of accumulated evidence
3:17am
now squarely in his lap. >> first thought was it's not going to go anywhere. it's not going to result in any charges. going to make an honest effort of going through the box, review it, writing a memorandum stating why. couldn't do it the prosecutor had not counted on brenda. >> nothing in this world was going to stop her from pursuing this. that was her son. >> she called him weekly, sometimes daily. his updates gradually convinced her he was taking alan's case seriously. soon she confided that her son was still haunting her in her dreams. >> she is still coming. >> saying the same kind of thing? >> yes. but i'm feeling like i'm on the right track. >> in april, 2006, brenda
3:18am
released 21 balloons, one for each year alan had been dead. patterson wasn't sure he had enough evidence to prosecute. so much depended on eyewitness cathy pettiford and ever since that day in 1985 she had been in and out of mental institutions. as a witness she was less than ideal. >> i would just go over and over again what cathy had to say. i wondered whether she was telling me the truth or whether she was making this up. >> to see for himself the prosecutor conducted a series of interviews with cathy and she would later say at a hearing the day alan disappeared she saw montel and rosalind give him poisoned kool-aid and eggs and then saw them come out of the bedroom with the boy whom she called chris in montel's arms. >> was chris conscious at that time? >> no. >> did he say anything? >> no. >> was his body moving at all? >> no.
3:19am
>> cathy said rosalind and montel left and when they returned their shoes and pant legs were muddy. >> did montel say something to you? >> he was crying. >> the prosecutor decided that even with cathy's history of mental illness she would hold up on the stand. her testimony was crucial. >> the scientific evidence helped her. she helped the scientific evidence. >> for patterson and for detective parks there was one last looming question. why? >> to poison a little boy by pouring poison in his scrambled eggs seems so outrageous and preposterous that you wonder why someone would do that. what do you think is the motive here? >> well, there's a lot of jealousy. a lot of jealousy. >> but both investigator gerry parks and prosecutor orende patterson have another theory.
3:20am
they say it is possible alan had been sexually abused by rosalind and montel and he was about to tell his mother. if that was the case they killed him not out of jealousy but to protect themselves. in may of 2007 patterson charged rosalind and montel with first-degree murder. he says it was gratifying to give brenda the news. >> she was very happy. happy is an understatement as to how she felt. >> there was a lot of hip, hip, hurrah. you know? >> all of a sudden it seemed like the trees are greener. the grass is greener. i knew they had the right people. all i could say was "thank you, jesus." thank you, gerry. >> after 22 long years, brenda simpson was about to have her day in court. but would it bring the justice she so badly wanted? >> i just broke down.
3:21am
>> not one witness said they ever saw her even spank this child. the closing argument was how do you get from not even disciplining him with physical punishment to a plot to poison and murder him and throw him in the river? it doesn't make sense. it's a beautiful day inside when you use lysol neutra air fabric mist. it kills 99.9% of bacteria on soft surfaces and eliminates odors at their source better than febreze. so now a fresh home is the sign of a healthy home. for tips on a healthy home, visit lysol.com/missionforhealth.
3:22am
3:23am
august of 2008, brenda simpson's decades-long battle for justice for her son alan was nearing an end. alan's step mother rosalind brown and her brother montel pettiford were about to be tried for murder.
3:24am
>> it was just like a hundred pounds was lifted off of me. i been walking around with these two bricks. but i can't put them down. i got to keep going. goit to keep going. >> prosecutor orende patterson lined up what he hoped was a strong case -- a toxicology report showing alcohol in alan's blood, an eyewitness, and rosalind's own statement that she and montel brought alan to the river that day. still, he worried it wasn't enough. >> we could lose this case so i was mindful of that from the very beginning. >> mark latchana believed his client was innocent. so you believe alan died of accidental drowning? correct. >> she was an unlikely murder defendant. >> you know, the majority of my clients are not women in their mid 50s. meeting her, she talked about her grand kids and her kids and
3:25am
her career and her husband. >> rosalind's lawyer set out to debunk the toxicology report. he called in an expert who cited studies showing the alcohol in alan's blood could have been created naturally. a normal by product of a body decomposing in the water. when it came to witness cathy pettiford he questioned how anyone with her history of mental illness could accurately remember what happened one day 20 years earlier. >> poison out of a skull and cross bones bottle? i had never seen that in anything other than bugs bunny or cartoons as for rosalind's admission that she and montel had been down at the water that day with alan her lawyer believed that was coerced by the police. >> the statement came at the end of about four and a half hours of an interview with one detective and the statement was made after various different threats were made to her, threats of spend the rest of your life in prison, threats to
3:26am
be prosecuted. >> and the defense had one big advantage -- motive. in court the prosecution never brought up any allegations of sexual abuse and rosalind's lawyer argued there was no compelling reason for rosalind to kill the little boy. does your client have a history of violence? none. in fact, not one witness ever said they saw her even spank this child. and so the argument in closing argument was how do you get from not even disciplining him with physical punishment to a plot to poison and murder him and put him in the river? it doesn't make sense. >> eight days of testimony, two days of jury deliberations, then for both defendants a one word verdict. guilty. >> guilty in the first degree. >> it sounded good hearing it. i just -- i just broke down.
3:27am
it was like a floodgate opened. >> you couldn't help but cry. you would think after all these years, after all this suffering, after all this pleading, we finally got the justice alan deserves. >> the prosecutor was 13 when alan died. >> a long time coming wasn't it? >> a long time coming. >> alan's father, jestine brown, stayed married to rosalind all those years and attended court every day. reporter jeff smith now in the insurance business also attended the trial. >> we just really kept it out there and kind of put pressure on the court system to see this through. >> in part, brenda blames these original investigators, sergeant francis tull, saying she would not have needed media pressure if he had done his job early on. tull says he was hampered by the medical examiner's finding that alan's death was accidental and says this case was always in his
3:28am
heart. >> if she were sitting in this seat instead of me, what would you say to her? >> i'd tell her i'm sorry. that i did not do this for her. >> that is not something you hear every day. sergeant tull testified at the trial and spoke to brenda briefly afterwards. >> she said she was disappointed and i said so was i, at myself. >> takes a pretty big guy to say that. >> well, it's the truth. i didn't solve the case for her. i should have focused on rosalind moore. i should have picked up maybe that extra piece. >> brenda will never get the years back she spent fighting for alan but at long last her crusade is over. >> happy birthday. >> did you ever hear from alan in your dreams after? >> no.
3:29am
it's like he's at peace now. >> time has finally washed away some of the pain caused on the banks of the flint river and one extraordinarily devoted mother has released the last balloon in memory of herself. >> i think 9 out of 10 women after 15, 16 years, probably would have stopped. >> i couldn't stop. i had to do it for alan. >> i love him. i love him. and i just didn't think he deserved to die like that. so i had to fight for him. and no one else could do it but me. no one else was going to care like i cared. no one was going to push like i was going to push. so i had to